T.J. Murphy is co-chair of Choate’s Private Equity Group. In his practice he regularly represents middle-market private equity and venture capital funds in growth equity investments, recapitalizations, mergers, acquisitions and leveraged buyouts across the US and internationally. In the past twelve months, T.J. has served as lead counsel for transactions with an aggregate value in excess of a billion dollars.
T.J. also frequently serves as outside corporate counsel for privately held companies in high growth industries including software, technology, healthcare, medical device, media and business services.
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds in a broad range of transactions, including platform and add-on acquisitions, carve-outs and other divestitures, leveraged buyouts, majority and minority recapitalizations, and growth equity investments.
Mergers & Acquisitions: represents institutional investors, portfolio companies and management teams in negotiating and structuring leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, mergers and acquisitions.
- $275 million sale of life sciences company (cross-border).
- $225 million sale of information technology business.
- $95 million growth equity investment in technology company.
- $17 million growth equity investment in healthcare services business.
- $20 million growth equity investment in software company (cross-border).
- $600 million leveraged acquisition of business services provider.
- $100 million leveraged acquisition of broadband systems.
Publications and Presentations
- “General Outlook on M&A for 2011,” moderator, ACG 2011 M&A Outlook Conference, Boston, February 2011.
- “Navigating the Special Nature of Growth Equity,” co-author, Buyouts Magazine, July 2011.
- “Don’t Be So Fast to Convert LLCs to Corporations,” co-author, Buyouts Magazine, November 2009.
- “The Complexity of Compromise,” co-author, Mergers & Acquisitions, August 2009.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Murphy is a member of the firm’s Professional Development Committee and a former member of the Executive Committee.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1997
- Boston College
- BA, 1993
Choate recently advised New Heritage Capital in its acquisition of a minority stake in Flying Colours Corp., an Ontario-based provider of private jet refurbishment, completion, and MRO services.
Calero Software, LLC, a portfolio company of Riverside Partners, has closed two add-on acquisitions since being backed by Riverside Partners four months ago.
Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 34 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.