T.J. Murphy is co-chair of Choate’s Private Equity Group. He has been recognized in Chambers and The Legal 500.
Mr. Murphy regularly represents middle-market private equity funds in growth equity investments, recapitalizations, mergers, acquisitions and leveraged buyouts across the U.S. and internationally.
Mr. Murphy also frequently serves as outside corporate counsel for privately held companies in high growth industries including technology, healthcare, media and business services.
Private Equity: represents private equity funds in a broad range of transactions, including platform and add-on acquisitions, carve-outs and other divestitures, leveraged buyouts, majority and minority recapitalizations, and growth equity investments.
Mergers & Acquisitions: represents institutional investors, portfolio companies and management teams in negotiating and structuring leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, mergers and acquisitions.
- $275 million sale of life sciences company (cross-border).
- $225 million sale of information technology business.
- $95 million growth equity investment in technology company.
- $600 million sale of healthcare services business.
- $20 million growth equity investment in software company (cross-border).
- $600 million leveraged acquisition of business services provider.
- $100 million leveraged acquisition of broadband systems.
Publications and Presentations
- “General Outlook on M&A for 2011,” moderator, ACG 2011 M&A Outlook Conference, Boston, February 2011.
- “Navigating the Special Nature of Growth Equity,” co-author, Buyouts Magazine, July 2011.
- “Don’t Be So Fast to Convert LLCs to Corporations,” co-author, Buyouts Magazine, November 2009.
- “The Complexity of Compromise,” co-author, Mergers & Acquisitions, August 2009.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Murphy is a member of the Firm’s Professional Development Committee and a former member of the Executive Committee.
Education & Credentials
- Boston College Law School
- JD, 1997
- Boston College
- BA, 1993
Choate represented Summit Partners and its portfolio company, Club Champion, in its sale to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners.
Choate represented BioAgilytix, a portfolio company of Riverside Partners and a provider of molecular bioanalysis services, in its sale to privately-held investment company Cobepa S.A.
Choate represented Riverside Partners and its portfolio company, Eliassen Group, LLC, in the sale of Eliassen to funds managed by Stone Point Capital LLC.
Choate represented InfoArmor, a leader in the identity protection and advanced threat intelligence industries and a portfolio company of Summit Partners, in its acquisition by The Allstate Corporation (NYSE: ALL).
Choate represented BV Investment Partners in its $50 million investment in Consero Global, a Finance as a Service company that provides tech-enabled finance and accounting services to growing and mid-market companies.