Steve Meredith is Senior Counsel in Choate’s Private Equity Group. His practice has included leading teams of lawyers representing companies, management teams and investors in virtually every kind of corporate transaction across five continents. His experience includes private equity, M&A, venture capital, corporate governance, joint ventures, restructurings and pre-litigation strategy.
Steve’s clients have included pioneers in the technology, media and telecommunications industries. On the fund sponsor side, he has advised some of the country’s preeminent private equity and VC firms, including Great Hill Partners, Columbia Capital, M/C Partners, Spectrum Equity, ABRY Partners, and Greenspring Associates. Steve has been recognized for many years in Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in the area of Private Equity and has been listed repeatedly in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law.
- Chambers USA as a leading lawyer in the area of Private Equity
- Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law (2023)
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds in a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including platform and add-on acquisitions, carve-outs and other divestitures, leveraged buyouts, majority and minority recapitalizations and growth equity investments.
Mergers & Acquisitions: corporate transactions for public and private companies, including all types of mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and going private transactions covering a broad spectrum of industries.
- Great Hill Partners in the $1.8 billion sale of Brazilian data center company Ascenty to Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR).
- Columbia Capital in its investment to fund the acquisition of Teraco Data Environments, Africa’s leading provider of co-location data center infrastructure.
- Locus Robotics Corp. in its spin-off transaction and equity financings.
- Canara, Inc. in its acquisition of Capital Power Group, a provider of data center solutions.
- A consortium of US and international private equity investors in a tender offer to acquire a controlling interest in euNetworks Group Limited (SGX: H23.SI), a publicly held Singapore company engaged in the ownership and operation of fiber optic networks throughout Europe, and in the subsequent sale of the company to Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners.
- JAB Wireless, Inc., the largest provider of fixed wireless broadband services in the U.S., in a series of recapitalization financings and change of control transactions.
- Columbia Capital and Greenspring Associates in the sale of data center operator Cologix to Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners.
- Great Hill Partners and its data center portfolio company, Latisys, in the $675 million sale of Latisys to Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO).
- ABRY Partners in its $1.2 billion acquisition of RCN Corporation (NASDAQ: RCNI).
- Great Hill Partners in its acquisition of EvolveIP Holdings.
- GTS Central Europe and its consortium of private equity investors in its €546 million sale to Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE:GR).
- Spectrum Equity Investors in the $272.5 million sale of Choice Cable TV of Puerto Rico to an affiliate of Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK).
- M/C Partners and Columbia Capital in their joint venture with Warner Bros. Studios to form Hollywood film production company Legendary Pictures.
- The private equity investor group in the $250 million first round financing of XM Satellite Radio.
Steve has served on the Private Equity Editorial Advisory Board for Law360, a LexisNexis-owned online news service for the legal industry. For years Steve has been ranked by Chambers for his work in private equity and has been listed repeatedly in The Best Lawyers in America.
Publications and Presentations
Steve has authored a number of articles on private equity and corporate finance and has been quoted in various business publications, including the Wall Street Journal, The Deal, The Boston Globe, Private Equity Analyst, Law 360, Mergers & Acquisitions, Venture Capital Journal, Bloomberg News and the Boston Business Journal.
- “Governance of Corporations & LLCs in Massachusetts & Delaware: The Ins & Outs of Fiduciary Duties,” faculty member and co-author, MCLE New England, May 2017.
Professional and Community Involvement
Steve is the founder and owner of Radio Stations KSOM-FM and KSWl-FM in his home state of Iowa. He is also a Foundation Trustee of Bradley Hospital, the first hospital, education and research center devoted exclusively to child and adolescent mental health.
Education & Credentials
- University of Iowa
- JD, 1978
- Brown University
- AB, 1974
The current FTC leadership has been making strong statements against private equity roll-ups across industry sectors, and on September 21, 2023, acted on this rhetoric by suing a large health care provider in Texas, along with its founding private equity sponsor.
A Choate Pro Bono team filed an amicus brief to the First Circuit on behalf of Giffords, a national organization working to preserve gun safety laws.
Best Lawyers in America® has recognized 49 Choate attorneys in its 2023 edition, including naming co-managing partner William Gelnaw a Lawyer of the Year.
On July 27, 2022 Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senator Joe Manchin issued a joint statement announcing an agreement to add the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 to the FY2022 Budget Reconciliation Bill, which includes limitations for Private Equity managers to benefit from capital gains treatment on their carried interest.