Steve Meredith is Senior Counsel in the Firm’s Private Equity Group. His practice includes leading teams of lawyers representing companies, management teams and investors in virtually every kind of corporate transaction, both domestically and internationally. His experience includes private equity, M&A, venture capital, corporate governance, joint ventures, restructurings, and developing pre-litigation strategy.
Steve has a particular expertise in middle-market deals and his clients have included pioneers in the technology, media and telecommunications industries. On the fund sponsor side, he has advised some of the country’s preeminent VC and private equity firms, including Great Hill Partners, Columbia Capital, M/C Partners, Spectrum Equity, ABRY Partners, and Greenspring Associates.
Private Equity: representation of private equity funds in a broad range of transactions, including platform and add-on acquisitions, carve-outs and other divestitures, leveraged buyouts, majority and minority recapitalizations, and growth equity investments.
Mergers & Acquisitions: corporate transactions for public and private companies, including all types of mergers, acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and going private transactions for companies in a broad spectrum of industries.
- Counsel to majority owners Columbia Capital and Greenspring Associates in the sale of data center operator Cologix to Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners.
- Represented Great Hill Partners in its leverage buyout of EvolveIP Holdings.
- Structured and executed the spin-off and equity financing of Locus Robotics Corp. from Quiet Logistics, Inc., a tech-centric fulfillment provider serving the fashion and retail industries.
- Represented Great Hill Partners and its data center portfolio company, Latisys, in the $675 million sale of Latisys to Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO).
- Acted for JAB Wireless, Inc., the largest provider of fixed wireless broadband services in the US, in a series of recapitalization, redemption and financing transactions in which the interest of the company's private equity investor was purchased by new investors.
- Negotiated sale of The W.E. Bassett Company, the nation's largest distributor of personal grooming devices, to Pacific World Corporation.
- Represented ABRY Partners in its $1.2 billion acquisition of RCN Corporation (NASDAQ: RCNI)
- Acted for Cavalier Telephone Corporation and its stockholders in its $460 million merger with Paetec Holding Corp. (NASDAQ GS: PAET)
- Negotiated $124.5 million sale of Canadian data center operator Fusepoint, Inc. to Savvis, Inc. (NASDAQ: SWS)
- Acted for Global Tower Partners and its equity sponsor in its formation, funding, acquisitions and sale to The Blackstone Group.
- Represented M/C Partners and Columbia Capital in their joint venture with Warner Bros. Studios to form film production company Legendary Pictures.
- Acted for Battery Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Columbia Capital and JP Morgan Partners in their investment in The Tennis Channel.
- Represented two private equity funds in connection with the formation of, and $160 million investment in, a US-Canadian communications satellite joint venture with three strategic partners and the contribution of satellite licenses held by them, followed by the subsequent sale of the joint venture's assets to two public companies.
- Negotiated strategic partnering arrangement and equity investment with an online ticket distribution company on behalf of a consortium of 40 ticket brokers.
- Represented Great Hill Partners in acquisition of international money transfer company Vigo and subsequent sale to First Data Corp.
- Acted for the private equity investor group in the $250 million first round financing of XM Satellite Radio.
- Represented holder of broadband satellite spectrum in its sale to Harbinger Capital Partners.
Europe, Asia & Latin America
- Acted for a consortium of US and international private equity investors in a tender offer to acquire a controlling interest in euNetworks Group Limited (SGX: H23.SI), a publicly held Singapore company engaged in the ownership and operation of fiber optic networks throughout Europe.
- Acted for GTS Central Europe and its consortium of private equity investors in its €546 million acquisition by Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE:GR).
- Represented Spectrum Equity Investors in the $272.5 million sale of its portfolio company, Choice Cable TV of Puerto Rico, to a subsidiary of Liberty Global plc (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK).
- Represented a US private equity fund in making a controlling investment in a Brazilian fiber and data center company.
- Advised M/C Partners in structuring the merger of its wireless license company in Malta with Melita Cable, a Maltese cable television provider.
- Represented a US private equity fund in its investment in an Indian broadband satellite company.
- Acted for two private equity funds in the acquisition of a Puerto Rican wireless company in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale.
Publications and Presentations
Steve has authored a number of articles on private equity and corporate finance and has been quoted in various business publications, including the Wall Street Journal, The Deal, The Boston Globe, Private Equity Analyst, Law 360, Mergers & Acquisitions, Venture Capital Journal, Bloomberg News and the Boston Business Journal. He recently served as a panelist on the MCLE New England panel, “Governance of Corporations & LLCs in Massachusetts & Delaware: The Ins & Outs of Fiduciary Duties.”
Professional and Community Involvement
Steve is the founder and owner of Radio Stations KSOM-FM and KSWl-FM located in his hometown in southwest Iowa. Steve is married to a reformed lawyer-turned-teacher. They have three excellent children and two bird dogs who sleep on the furniture.
Steve is a member of the Massachusetts, Rhode Island and American Bar Associations. He is also a Trustee of the Bradley Hospital Foundation, the first hospital, education and research center devoted exclusively to child and adolescent mental health.
Education & Credentials
- University of Iowa
- JD, 1978
- Brown University
- AB, 1974
We were honored to host a discussion focusing on the theme of Private Equity and Venture Capital investment opportunities in the Autonomous Vehicles (AV) and Smart Cities space.
Locus Robotics, the provider of autonomous, mobile robots for use in e-commerce fulfillment warehouses has raised $25 million in new funding led by Silicon Valley-based Scale Venture Partners.
Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business recognized 34 Choate lawyers as leading counsel in their respective fields, with six receiving Band 1 rankings.